Mostly this year was filled with anxiety - personal, financial, occupational, familial. It kicked the ass of ‘most everyone I know. My parents continued their weird cycle of parallel physical deconstructions, with my mother’s always proving far more likely to end in her changing her life for the good and my father dwindling into greater need and dependence. It’s enough to break your heart, sometimes.
On the other hand, younger step-sister is pregnant and healthy, cousin the youngest is getting married next year, niece and nephew are wonderful and healthy, “godchild” is wicked smart and truly wonderful as are her parents, and I got to see one of my oldest friends 18,000 times more often than in the past 10 years, so the year wasn’t a wash.
So things I want to remember, for the good, in 2010.
1. A baptism.
2. A kiss.
3. A performance.
4. A night of revelry.
5. A birthday party.
6. A killer pair of shoes.
7. A minor sacrifice and a family obligation well full-filled.
8. A gift of a concert.
9. A game.
10. A night spent outside in a cemetary.
11. A meal cooked.
12. A meal eaten.
13. A goal met.
14. An essay written.
15. A novel read.
16. A story started.
17. A relay raced.
18. A small hand held after a wild ride.
19. A great big bass guitar played by a tiny woman.
20. A very late night, or a very early morning, depending on perspective.
21. A group of writers in CA.
22. A group of writers scattered everywhere.
23. An illness shared, and recovered from.
24. A scare, and the accompanying illumination.
25. A family created around me, maintained around me.
26. A family loved and visited in MN.
27. A chance to reconnect with a dear friend.
28. A happy healthy pet.
29. A new skill explored.
30. A world of new challenges stretching out before me.